© Gaye Wilson 2009

healthyI woke up feeling fantastic this morning. I don’t remember the last time I did that. I’m up and rarin’ to go. Can’t wait to start the day.

This is very unusual for me. I have a chronic illness, which I’ve had since 1995. It seems that it’s not going to go away. So when I wake every morning it’s more a case of asking myself what doesn’t hurt, and how can I drag myself through the day without hurting more.

What’s different today? Yesterday I started a course of antibiotics. When I’m on antibiotics, I always feel fantastic. The difference between how I feel on antibiotics and how I feel normally is phenomenal. I’m two completely different people.

Feeling fantastic means that I accomplish more. Everything I do is faster, better and easier. My mind is clearer. My body can last longer.

When I’m feeling healthy, I am the person I want to be.

When I’m unhealthy (which is most of the time), everything is hard. I still get stuff done, I still accomplish my work and my goals, but it takes far more effort, it takes longer, and I have to work in short snatches.

You can get so used to feeling off that you don’t realise how much it’s affecting you.

Even minor ailments have an impact on your performance.

I’m not the only one who has found this out the hard way. Here are some more examples.

One of my PhD Coaching clients suffered terribly from headaches. When she was given the correct treatment, the headaches went away and she surged forward with her dissertation. She had not realised how much her life and performance were affected by her headaches.

Another of my PhD Coaching clients had dental problems. She was in pain, but didn’t realise that it was affecting her performance. I encouraged her to get it checked out, and lo and behold, when the problem was fixed, she felt fantastic and finished her PhD earlier than expected.

You can do everything when you’re healthy. If you’re unhealthy, it takes a lot more effort and a lot longer to do things.

So make sure you are as healthy as you can possibly be:

• eat the right things, and in moderation
  • do the right amount and type of exercise
  • drink lots of pure water
  • maintain a healthy weight
  • get sufficient sleep
  • get a medical checkup
  • get a dental checkup
  • have fun
  • create a support or social network
  • maintain a life/work balance

It will make a world of difference to your outlook, your accomplishments and your life.

I’m not saying here that unhealthy people can’t perform and can’t accomplish their goals. I pull out all stops when I have a deadline to meet in my editing business, but it usually leaves me drained. The author of the book-turned-into-blockbuster-movie Sea Biscuit had the same condition that I have, and she wrote the book while flat on her back in bed. A colleague of mine recently attended the launch of her new local history book in a wheelchair – she also has this condition.

So unhealthy people can perform and produce, but it’s much harder. People with ill health have to work harder to accomplish the same as healthy people,and it takes a heavier toll.

Victories happen faster and easier when you’re healthy.

So get healthy.

What can you do this week to boost your health?

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

9 Responses to “You can do everything when you’re healthy”

1. You can do everything when you’re healthy on September 27th, 2009 12:06 pm

[...] strange here: You can do all when you’re healthy This entry was posted in Posts about Health & Beauty, Uncategorized and tagged About, [...]

2. You can do everything when you’re healthy | Big News Live on September 27th, 2009 12:06 pm

[...] Read the original post: You can do everything when you’re healthy [...]

3. Dave Meyer on September 28th, 2009 11:00 am

You’re right on target about how much better everything is when you are feeling healthy. And while you have a chronic disease, many of us don’t feel “healthy” because of things we do (or don’t do) to ourselves. We don’t eat right; we don’t get enough exercise, or sleep.

Why don’t we do the things we should do?

That’s the million dollar question!

Keep up the good work.

Dave

4. Cindy Morus on September 28th, 2009 12:16 pm

Yes, Gaye, it’s amazing how poor health can affect so many areas of our lives. That’s why I pay regular visits to my chiropractor and acupuncturist. They do “well-care” rather than health care and I’m healthier than I’ve ever been.

5. Doris Helge, Ph.D. on September 30th, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks for encouraging people to control the aspects of their lives that they CAN control in spite of chronic pain or other aspects of chronic disease. My clients love this type of personal empowerment because controlling what we can . . . without judging what we cannot . . . produces magical results, ranging from greater confidence to emotional and health improvements.

6. Tammy on September 30th, 2009 7:56 pm

I could not agree more with this article. I have been unbalanced for a while with not eating correctly until I saw my bank statement and noticed that I was spending way too much time at the restaurants. I decided to settle and start staying on a budget and eating healthy foods, going to store and of course going to the doctor, which is so important.

7. Sam Metz on October 1st, 2009 6:14 am

Last week I came down with an excruciating pain in my right knee joint. While the doctors are checking out the cause I already know I will never be able to walk without pain.

This is just the latest of a long list of exciting new events in my life. Each one is a new adventure.

I have decided to make each a stepping stone to a higher, more fulfilling way of life. I have decided to do it and it is done. It may not be complete, it may not have even begun but I can visualize my complete success.

8. Amy on April 19th, 2010 6:47 am