© Gaye Wilson 2009

Image by pongsterToday is my father’s birthday. If he had lived, he would have been 83. Although he has been gone for three and a half years, I saw something that he would have liked the other day, and for an instant thought about buying it for him for Christmas. Then I remembered. And I felt like I had lost him all over again.

When someone dies, the world loses. The family loses. Friends and loved ones lose the opportunity to be with that person, to talk to them, laugh with them, confide in them, advise them and find out what they know. The person’s entire knowledge banks and memories are lost – unless they were preserved in some way – books, photos, diaries, blogs even.

Have you seen the movie with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson called The Bucket List? I watched it on DVD last week. It’s about two men with terminal cancer who write a list of things they want to do before they die. And then they go out and do them. Both of them waited until they were dying to do some things they had wanted to do all their lives.

Why wait to do what you want?

When you are dying, it’s probably too late. If you’re dying of a disease, you might not be well enough to climb a mountain or learn a new language. If you die suddenly, it’s definitely too late.

Every day you are alive is a gift. Don’t let it pass you by.

A friend sent me a message from the Dalai Lama today. It says exactly what I wanted to say in this post, so I have quoted it here:

Today we have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences but less time.

We have more degrees but less common sense, more knowledge, but less judgement.

We have more experts but more problems, more medicine but less wellness.

We spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get angry too quickly, stay up too late, read too little, watch too much TV and pray too seldom.

We’ve multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values.

We talk too much, love too little, and lie too often.

More leisure and less fun … more kinds of foods … but less nutrition …two incomes but more divorce …fancier houses, but broken homes.

That’s why I propose that, as of today, you do not keep anything for a special occasion, because every day you live is a special occasion.

Search for knowledge.

Read more.

Sit on your front porch and admire the view without paying attention to your needs.

Spend more time with your family and friends, eat your favourite foods, and visit the places you love.

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, not only about survival.

Use your crystal goblets, do not save your best perfume, and use it every time you feel you want it.

Remove from your vocabulary phrases like “one of these days” and “someday”.

Let’s write that letter we thought of writing “one of these days”.

Let’s tell our family and friends how much we love them.

Do not delay anything that adds laughter and joy to your life.

Every day, every hour, and every minute is special.

And you don’t know if it will be your last.

If you’re too busy to make the time to send this message to someone you love, and you tell yourself you will send it “one of these days”,

BELIEVE ME

one of these days you may not be here to send it.

The Dalai Lama nailed it, didn’t he?

I would add one thing to what the Dalai Lama said.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

11 Responses to “Every day you live is a special occasion”

1. Broker Forex on December 19th, 2009 11:45 pm

Thank you for this valuable post. It changed my way

2. раздача icq on December 20th, 2009 2:43 pm

Thank you very much for that splendid article

3. Tammy Barbee on December 21st, 2009 12:57 pm

I agree. Life is a precious gift that we have been given. Some of us take it for granted especially when it is too late.

Thank you for sharing this article with all of us.

4. Jose Anajero on December 30th, 2009 12:01 pm

I think the Dalai Lama is a man of wisdom.

But the message purportedly attributed to the Dalai Lama, some people say, is actually written by Dr. Bob Moorehead.

Dr. Bob Moorehead is a former pastor of Seattle’s Overlake Christian Church. He retired in 1998 after 29 years in that post. His essay “The Paradox of our Age” appeared in “Words Aptly Spoken”, Dr. Moorehead’s 1995 collection of prayers, homilies, and monologues used in his sermons and radio broadcasts.

Anyway, I liked what you said – “Make a legacy. Don’t let your knowledge and memories die with you. Leave something of yourself behind.”

We should aim to leave not only inheritance to our loved ones but also legacy.

Thanks Gaye for this interesting post.

Jose

5. Dave on February 10th, 2010 4:39 am

Well written and inspirational. I totally agree, we get so wrapped up in petty stuff we forget whats important. Great Points!

6. Every day you live is a special occasion « εϊз Noon εϊз on March 1st, 2010 7:25 pm

[...] Every day you live is a special occasion [...]

7. Ellen Besso on March 2nd, 2010 4:23 am

Thanks Gaye for an inspiring article. You’ve helped me remember…

I had the privilege of attending HH the Dalai Lama’s teachings twice last fall in Dharamsala and of filling myself up with the wonderful energy of all the people there during our 6 weeks living and volunteering with young Tibetans.
    It’s hard to maintain the energy…

Ellen Besso
    MidLife Coach & Author

8. vbeepocket on February 15th, 2011 10:30 am

wow…this was such a heartfelt message…not only what the Dali Lama said, but also your writing about your father and how you wish that you had more time with him. Thank you for writing this…

9. Magda on September 14th, 2011 10:50 pm

Very beautiful post and very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

10. Robert on October 26th, 2011 7:50 pm

Clever writing.

11. steve werner on November 25th, 2011 5:15 am

thanks for the “right hook in the mouth”

I often forget this is the greatest time ever to be alive.

sw